NordVPN vs. CyberGhost: Quick recap
To help you choose between NordVPN and CyberGhost, we’ve compared the two providers in different categories. The categories we used to evaluate NordVPN and CyberGhost are: Speed, Security, Privacy, Price, Ease of Use, and Customer Service. Here is the winner for each category:
- Security: NordVPN
- Speed: Equal merit
- Privacy: NordVPN
- Price: CyberGhost
- Ease of use: NordVPN
- Customer Service: NordVPN
As you can see, NordVPN is better in many categories. It should therefore come as no surprise that NordVPN is the clear winner.
Below you will find an explanation of the above results, with a handy table to compare the features offered by the two providers.
NordVPN and CyberGhost are well-known VPN providers. Having rated both of them positively in our previous reviews, we feel it is a good idea to take a closer look at them.
Let’s start the comparison by evaluating the features, features and extra options offered by NordVPN and CyberGhost. Before drawing our conclusions, we will also evaluate VPNs in terms of speed, security, privacy, price, ease of use and customer service.
NordVPN vs CyberGhost: features, features and extra options
Before we delve into the specific features of the two VPNs, here’s a general overview:
|Server||5500+ servers in 59 countries||6800+ servers in 89 countries|
|Torrent / P2P support||✔||✔|
|Operating systems||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux|
|Protocols||OpenVPN, IKEv2 / IPsec, NordLynx (WireGuard)||OpenVPN, IKEv2 / IPsec, WireGuard|
|Price||Starting from € 2.97 per month||From 2 € per month|
|Log policy||No log||No log|
|Money back guarantee||30 days||45 days|
|DNS leak test||✔||✔|
|Tor over VPN||✔||✖|
|Blocking malicious websites||✔||✔|
|Custom DNS option||✔||✖|
|Blocking online trackers||✖||✔|
|Automatic HTTPS redirection||✖||✔|
|Data compression option||✖||✔|
|Link to the site||Visit NordVPN||Visit CyberGhost|
Below you will find a brief explanation of all the features shown in the table:
- Server : The more VPN servers the provider offers, the more unblocking options you have access to. A larger number of VPN servers also ensures faster speeds, as the number of VPN users can be spread across multiple servers.
- Torrent / P2P Support : Specify if the VPN provider allows P2P traffic on their servers, for example to download torrents.
- Netflix / Streaming : Indicates whether the VPN works with Netflix and other popular streaming services. For example, indicate whether the VPN allows access to the US Netflix catalog.
- Simultaneous Connections : Specifies how many devices can be connected to the VPN at the same time.
- Operating System : Indicates which operating system (s) the VPN is compatible with.
- Protocols : Shows which VPN encryption protocols each VPN supports. Here you can find more information on encryption protocols.
- Price : Shows the price of the cheapest monthly subscription of the two VPN providers.
- Log policy : Logs are files containing information about the user. If a VPN provider doesn’t keep logs, it probably ensures a good level of privacy and security.
- Money-back guarantee : Indicates the period within which you can request a refund of your subscription from the VPN provider. Note: For short-term subscriptions, shorter warranty periods may apply.
- DNS leak test : A DNS leak occurs when information leaks from your IP address. A VPN that includes the DNS leak test feature can check if any information is leaking from your IP address.
- Tor over VPN : Specifies whether the VPN provider has special servers that work with the Tor browser.
- Obfuscated servers : These servers make VPN traffic appear like normal traffic, thus making it easier, for example, to access blocked websites for users in China.
- Dual VPN : This feature allows you to connect to the internet via two VPN servers at the same time, instead of just one. The advantage is greater anonymity. For example, your internet provider will see that you are connecting only to the first VPN server, not the second. This mechanism guarantees you an even higher level of privacy.
- Dedicated IPs : Specify if the VPN offers dedicated IP addresses. Find more information on dedicated IP addresses here.
- Kill switch : A kill switch is an extra security option that turns off your internet connection when you lose your connection to the VPN. You can find more information on the kill switch here.
- Split tunneling: Split tunnelling is an extra option that allows you to determine which devices or applications to connect via the VPN and which not.
- Adblocker : Allows you to determine if the VPN has a built-in adblocker.
- Diskless Servers : Diskless servers are servers that only act as “go-between”. In other words: there is no information stored on these servers. For this, they are useful in terms of security and privacy protection.
- Malicious Website Blocking : Determines whether the VPN has an extra feature that blocks malicious websites.
- Custom DNS Option : Indicates whether the VPN provider allows you to set up your own DNS records.
- Blocking Online Trackers : Determines if the VPN has an additional built-in feature to block online trackers.
- Automatic HTTPS Redirect : This feature automatically connects you to the HTTPS version of a website, rather than the HTTP version.
- Data Compression Option : This is an option that compresses large files to ensure you have a faster browsing experience.
NordVPN vs CyberGhost: which is the safest VPN?
NordVPN and CyberGhost both offer the same protocols, namely OpenVPN, IKEv2 / IPsec, and WireGuard (called NordLynx with NordVPN). As a result, in terms of encryption protocols, NordVPN and CyberGhost are pretty much comparable. That’s why, to determine which provider is the safest of the two, we looked at their main differences:
- Specific Purpose Servers : NordVPN has far more specialized servers than CyberGhost. It offers obfuscated servers to bypass censorship, Double VPN servers to pass internet traffic through two VPN servers at the same time, and Tor over VPN servers – specifically required for use with the Tor browser. Both NordVPN and CyberGhost have streaming servers and P2P servers, but NordVPN has additional servers for specific security purposes.
- Diskless Server : NordVPN uses diskless servers, while CyberGhost does not. A diskless server is a server on which nothing can be stored. Therefore, even if the server were to be hacked, there would be no data to read. This is therefore one of the advantages of NordVPN.
- Blocking Online Trackers : Both CyberGhost and NordVPN manage to block online advertising and malicious websites. However, CyberGhost also has an automatic HTTPS redirect feature and a “tracker blocker” to block online trackers. These are CyberGhost benefits, but only marginal. These are, in fact, useful extra options that can be easily replaced with free browser add-ons. Moreover, free browser add-ons are often better than the tools provided by VPNs.
Most secure VPN : NordVPN
NordVPN vs CyberGhost: Which is the Fastest VPN?
To compare the speed of these two VPNs, we ran speed tests on both. Before we started, we tested our internet connection without a VPN to define the base speed. The results are illustrated in the following screenshot:
We then tested international and local servers belonging to both NordVPN and CyberGhost. The results are provided in the table below, with the best scores highlighted in bold:
|Local server download speed (Mbps)||257.20||441.67|
|Local server upload speed (in Mbps)||388.64||214.62|
|Local ping server||9||4|
|International server download speed (in Mbps)||146.64||122.07|
|International server upload speed (in Mbps)||27.24||17.30|
|International ping server||78||78|
In day-to-day use, we didn’t notice any speed drops with either NordVPN or CyberGhost. However, there is a noticeable difference in the detected speed levels. As for local servers, CyberGhost scores better than NordVPN in terms of download and ping speeds.
On the other hand, NordVPN scores better than CyberGhost when it comes to international servers. Furthermore, NordVPN appears to ensure much higher local upload speeds.
CyberGhost looks best when you use a local server to download files. NordVPN seems preferable in every other situation. However, given the importance of download speed, we consider it a draw.
Winner for speed : Equal merit
NordVPN vs CyberGhost: Which VPN Handles Data Best?
In addition to security, it is very important to look carefully at the protection of privacy. For many, this is an essential aspect when it comes to choosing a VPN. If a VPN is “safe” but your personal data falls into the hands of the wrong people, the VPN is of no use to you. Below you can find more details on the privacy offered by NordVPN and CyberGhost.
NordVPN and privacy details
- Since NordVPN is headquartered in Panama, it is not required to meet data requests from other states.
- In 2018, a NordVPN server located in Finland was hacked. However, no information was leaked, simply because the server contained no data. NordVPN later terminated the contract with the server farm that held the hacked server.
- It is possible to pay in Bitcoin to create a NordVPN account.
- NordVPN has been independently audited. This proved that the VPN does not keep user logs.
- NordVPN’s diskless RAM servers ensure that the provider cannot store any data.
CyberGhost and privacy details
- As CyberGhost has its registered office in Romania, it is not required to retain any data. Therefore, the data are not released to third parties.
- It is possible to pay with Bitcoin to create a CyberGhost account.
- CyberGhost regularly publishes a “transparency report” indicating how often the VPN receives data release requests. CyberGhost has never agreed to such requests so far.
- Your CyberGhost account page provides information about the devices where you have installed the VPN. This feature doesn’t seem like a good thing in terms of privacy protection.
It was difficult to clearly identify a winner in the privacy category. NordVPN has better privacy protection infrastructure, but the VPN was breached once. CyberGhost does not use diskless RAM servers, yet it has never been hacked. Leaving aside the past and considering only the current level of privacy protection by the two providers, NordVPN turns out to be the better choice. And this is simply because it uses diskless servers, on which no data can be stored.
Privacy Winner : NordVPN
NordVPN vs CyberGhost: Which VPN is Cheaper?
As the table below shows, CyberGhost has a slightly cheaper offer than NordVPN’s for its longer subscription plan. In recent years we have noticed in reviewing VPNs that these two providers vary little in prices. For both, the cost of a subscription is around 2-3 euros per month.
The price of a single month subscription is very different. With NordVPN it’s cheaper than with CyberGhost. Below is a complete overview of NordVPN and CyberGhost’s monthly costs.
|1 month||€ 9.56||€ 11.99|
|1 years||€ 3.93||€ 3.75|
|2 years||€ 2.97||✖|
|3 years||✖||€ 2|
Note : In the case of long-term subscriptions, you usually only pay once for the entire subscription period. Therefore, you are billed for the entire subscription period in one go, rather than month by month. Also, we try to keep our pricing table up to date, but always check the VPN provider’s website to see the actual current price.
Winner for the price : CyberGhost
Ease of use: installation and appearance
If we look at the best VPNs, there is little difference between them in terms of ease of use. All quality VPNs are very user-friendly. Therefore, which is better than the other is rather a matter of preferences of the individual user. However, we looked at the ease of use of the two providers and tried to find the differences in this category between NordVPN and CyberGhost.
Appearance differences between NordVPN and CyberGhost
NordVPN provides an image representation of its servers globally. It offers a world map from which you can select the country to connect to. This is an intuitive solution that is great as a complement to the traditional list view.
CyberGhost opts for the classic list view, and has a splash screen with a highlighted button to activate the VPN. NordVPN shows the map immediately and has a quick connect button. With NordVPN you can choose to view servers in a list, while with CyberGhost you cannot choose map view.
Another difference is that the system tray remains visible on CyberGhost, unless you open other settings or servers; while on NordVPN the taskbar is not fixed. We prefer the NordVPN option. You can also pause the VPN for a couple of minutes when using NordVPN, which is not provided by CyberGhost.
Below are some screenshots of NordVPN’s and CyberGhost’s software.
When it comes to desktop and smartphone apps, we found that there is little difference between NordVPN and CyberGhost. However, NordVPN seems a little easier to use than CyberGhost.
The installation procedure of NordVPN and CyberGhost is almost identical. Log into the VPN provider’s website, go to the tab where you can download the VPN and choose the operating system you want to install it on. An executable file (.exe) is then downloaded to your desktop. Open the file and follow the onscreen steps to install the VPN. Then you just have to open the software and log in. You can use your login credentials on the VPN website to log in.
On your smartphone, you can download the VPN application from the provider’s website, or from the App Store or Google Play. If you download it from the App Store or Google Play, make sure you select the right VPN.
Ease of Use Winner: NordVPN
Customer support: how are users assisted?
In addition to ease of use, customer service is also a very important factor. Experience with customer support can be instrumental in making a positive or negative VPN review. Below, we share the experience we had with NordVPN and CyberGhost customer service.
- NordVPN and CyberGhost both have a customer support system that you can contact via live chat. Either way, live chat puts you in touch with a real person.
- Both NordVPN and CyberGhost provided adequate answers to our questions.
- Both providers allow you to communicate with customer service in English only.
- NordVPN and CyberGhost both have a database with answers to frequently asked questions.
- While examining and comparing the websites of the two providers, we found some outdated information on the support pages of the CyberGhost website.
Customer support Winner: NordVPN
Bottom line: NordVPN or CyberGhost, which is the best VPN?
NordVPN and CyberGhost are both great VPN services, but they have some differences that may be important to users. The list below provides a brief summary of which we believe is the best VPN for each category analyzed:
- Security: NordVPN
- Speed: Equal merit
- Privacy: NordVPN
- Price: CyberGhost
- Ease of use: NordVPN
- Customer Service: NordVPN
Ultimately, these two VPNs aren’t that different from each other. However, NordVPN scores better in the most important categories. Plus, where NordVPN loses to CyberGhost, the differences are minimal. We therefore recommend NordVPN, but CyberGhost obviously remains a great VPN.