Setting up a VPN on Windows 10: Quick recap
Do you want to connect to a VPN using your Windows computer? Sometimes there isn’t a VPN software to help you with this and you will have to set it up yourself instead. Fortunately, this is pretty easy to do. Just follow these steps:
1. Make sure you have the correct credentials for your VPN account. If you’re still looking for a VPN provider, you might want to try CyberGhost:
2. Click the Windows logo and go to “ Settings ”. Select “ Network & Internet ” and click on “VPN”.
3. Add the VPN connection by clicking on “ Add a VPN connection ”. Enter the correct credentials and click Save .
4. Select the connection in the VPN Settings screen and establish a connection.
If you run into problems trying to set up your VPN, or just want additional information, you can read our full article below.
There are several ways to set up a VPN on your Windows 10 computer. In this article we are going to discuss how to set up a VPN through your Windows settings. This is useful when you e.g. For example, you want to use the VPN network provided by your employer.
Many VPN providers offer special software with which you can quickly and easily establish a connection to one of the many VPN servers. However, some VPNs, including many corporate networks, do not ship with their own software. Fortunately, Windows has a feature that allows you to set up a VPN connection yourself.
In these step-by-step instructions, we explain how you can set up a VPN connection under Windows 10. Do you have a VPN that offers its own software, such as ExpressVPN or CyberGhost? Scroll down for a quick guide that explains how to set up your VPN using this software.
Step 1: Obtain the correct login information
To set up a VPN connection under Windows 10, you need the correct login data. Otherwise, you will not be able to access the VPN server. If your VPN connection was set up through your workplace, you will need to ask your manager for the correct login information. Do you work with a VPN for personal use?
Then you created this information yourself when you set up your account. With this information, which often consists of a username and password and possibly a specific server address to connect to, you can perform the following three steps to connect to the VPN.
If you don’t already have a VPN account and credentials and are looking for a good VPN to protect your internet connection, you can always try CyberGhost. This provider is very cheap, but still of good quality. Plus, they have a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can try the service out first.
Step 2: Open VPN settings in Windows
Do you want to install a VPN on Windows 10? First, you need to make sure that you are using a Windows account with administrator rights. Usually, the owner of the computer has these rights. He or she can also pass it on to others. If you only have one user account on the device you are working with, you automatically have these rights.
Go to the Start menu (by clicking the Windows logo in the lower-left corner of your screen) and click Settings. This button often looks like a small gear. As soon as the “Settings” screen opens, click on “Network and Internet ” in the menu. Then select VPN from the list on the left side of the screen.
The picture to the right of this text shows what that looks like. You have now found the “VPN Settings” screen in Windows and are ready to add a VPN connection to your operating system.
Step 3: adding a VPN connection
It’s time to add a VPN connection. First, click the Add VPN Connection button at the top.
A blue screen will appear. Here you can enter the data of your VPN provider. Some countries allow you to choose a VPN provider from a number of standard providers, but this step-by-step guide will only focus on the Windows (built -in) option.
Under Connection Name, give the VPN connection a recognizable name. For example, you could opt for a “work VPN connection” if you only need it for work-related activities.
Under Server Name or Address, enter the IP address or the server URL of the VPN server. This information is provided by the provider of the connection, e.g. your boss.
Under VPN Type, select the VPN protocol that you want to use. In most cases, you will be able to choose the Automatic option here. For more information on VPN protocols, please see our article on the subject.
You can specify how you would like to log in under Type of login data . In most cases this will involve the use of a username and password. An alternative is to log in with a smart card or a certificate.
Enter the required login data under Username and Password.
Note: It is safest not to make the computer remember your login credentials if you are using a public computer. Only choose to save the data if your computer cannot be used by strangers and is well protected!
When you have entered all the required information, click Save.
Step 4: Establish a connection to the VPN server
Via the VPN menu under Settings (as described in step 1) you can now select the added VPN connection from the list displayed and establish a connection to this VPN server. You are now securely connected and can access the Internet securely and privately.
After you’ve added a VPN connection, besides turning your VPN off and on, you have additional options. For example, you could set up a proxy server. To achieve this, call up the extended menu. You can do that by doing step 2 again, clicking the VPN connection you want to change, and choosing Advanced Options.
Do not change these settings unless you are sure what you are doing. Windows and your VPN provider are already working together to provide you with a secure connection. Therefore, especially if you are a beginner, you do not need to change any advanced settings to be protected online.
For quick and easy access to the VPN section in your settings, you can follow the instructions in step 2, but you can also click on Notifications (the information balloon) in the lower-right corner of the system tray. The screenshot above shows what this screen looks like. Click on VPN and you will be taken straight to the VPN Settings screen.
VPN software on Windows 10
Using your VPN through your settings in Windows 10 can be very useful. Finally, Windows automatically connects you to the VPN server, so you don’t have to manually turn the VPN on every time.
In addition, it gives you the ability to remotely and securely connect to a private network. For example, think of people who work from home and use a VPN server to give them access to all documents and other files on the company network.
However, it’s not always convenient to connect your VPN to your operating system. If you’re using a paid VPN provider like NordVPN or Private Internet Access, we recommend using the software that came with it.
These programs often support additional VPN protocols, use their own DNS servers to prevent DNS leaks, and have a kill switch that automatically intervenes if your VPN connection is lost. In other words, using VPN software instead of logging into your VPN server through Windows will make you more secure.
Setting up a VPN on Windows with VPN software: a step-by-step guide
The installation of a VPN under Windows 10 with official VPN software is very easy and works as follows:
- Create an account on the VPN website. Go to the official website of the VPN provider you want (e.g. CyberGhost’s website) and select the subscription you want. Go through the steps to purchase a subscription and create an account.
- Download the VPN software from the official website. Often your provider forwards you to the download immediately after taking out the subscription.
- Install the VPN software. After the installation file is downloaded, you can click on it and follow the steps to install the VPN software on your computer.
- Log into the software with your account. This frequently involves filling out the username and password combination that you created in step 1.
- Select the desired VPN server (optional). Depending on what you want to do online, you can choose a suitable server location. For example, you could select an American server to watch the American version of Netflix, or to unlock Skype, Facebook, or other services that might be censored in your country. If you have no specific goal in mind other than to get online safely, you can simply pick the server closest to you.
- Turn on the VPN. Most VPN programs have a large power switch that can be used to turn on the VPN with just one click. If you skip step 5, the software will likely automatically select the closest or fastest server for you.
Why use a VPN on Windows 10?
There are many reasons to use a VPN. These are the most common:
- Data encryption for additional protection against hackers and cyber criminals (as well as other eavesdroppers such as governments and businesses);
- Safe use of public networks;
- Access to services that can only be used within the network of a company or institution;
- Hide your real location and IP address ;
- Anonymous downloading of torrents;
- Bypassing regional blockades, e.g. certain film services (Netflix) or social media networks;
- Circumventing censorship in a country;
- Increasing the speed of a connection to another server.
Setting up a VPN on your Windows 10 computer is always a good idea. Most likely, you use your device for many of your daily internet activities. With a VPN, you are protected in all of these activities while increasing your online privacy and freedom.
If you don’t already have a VPN and want to use one to secure your private network, you have a couple of options. Maybe you want a private VPN provider. If you have no idea where to start, take a look at our top 5 best VPN providers. This list could help you make your choice.
Setting up a VPN on Windows: Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about setting up a VPN on your Windows system? Click on your question below, and you will get the answer automatically. Do you still have a problem? Do not hesitate and leave a comment under this article. We’re here to help.
How do I set up a VPN connection under Windows?
There are two ways to set up a VPN on your Windows computer. First, VPNs like ExpressVPN and Surfshark let you install the software that came with them. Then just press a button and the VPN connection is set up.
If you don’t have software, you can do it yourself on Windows. Go to the “VPN” section of your settings and manually add a VPN connection.
What are the benefits of setting up a VPN on Windows?
There are many advantages to using a VPN. It protects your Internet connection, can give you access to certain networks, e.g. to the network of your work if you work from home, and protects your privacy.
It also increases your internet freedom. With a VPN, you can get online more securely without too much hassle.
Which VPN is best for Windows?
If you want to use a private VPN to secure your internet connection, your options are many. Fortunately, there are many good VPN providers out there that will protect your connection and increase your freedom online.
We’ve made a list of the top five VPN providers, all of which will work perfectly on your Windows computer.